Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: English Forum: the beginning

Reputatie
    Tessa, welcome back here, in the English thread!

It's so sad hearing do many bad news about those gymnasts, especially about Tess Moonen. Wasn't there a possibility that she would change the couch? It's so sad, she had an entire career ahead of her! I just hope Celine van Gerner will be ok, I like her a lot.

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by crisloregym View Post
    Tessa, welcome back here, in the English thread!

It's so sad hearing do many bad news about those gymnasts, especially about Tess Moonen. Wasn't there a possibility that she would change the couch? It's so sad, she had an entire career ahead of her! I just hope Celine van Gerner will be ok, I like her a lot.
    She did change coaches/clubs. Last year around this time she went to Bato/Pax to train with Kate Sarisska (coach of Chantysha Netteb and formerly Natasja Blind). She was surprised by the positive atmosphere there. She was treated well and the coaches gave her compliment. But she did not believe them. She always thought negative about herself, because that was the only way she was treated. Those bad feelings came back twice as strong. She had escaped the 'prison', but because she was physically away now and she was treated well, she got time to think and reflect. And then all the stress and unhappiness from all those years (that she stuffed away far inside her all those years, also from her parents and even herself, she did not know she was actually unhappy, she played a role all those years also for herself) came up. She got nightmares, sleepless nights, heart beats, etc. She was at the verge of a mental breakdown. She talked to sport psychiatrists ans then she knew she just had to leave the sport.

She is slowly doing better now. Still has her issues (negative thinking about herself), but she will get ther. I interviewed her last month for a big national newspaper where she told her story. I was shocked, thought (and hoped) things like this did not happen anymore. That the similar story's of Verona vd Leur, Suzanne Harmes, Renske Endel and Gabriella Wammes were something of the past. That it had stopped. It hadn't. It happened until last year at least and Tess fears for the girls that are still training at her old club.

The abuse was not physical as in beating or something, but mental. Shouting all the time, yelling for over an hour to a certain gymnast, ignoring her, forbidding others to talk to her, etc. Also the injuries were downplayed. They never dared to complain about some pain. Put if something really went wrong, like breaking something where there were already stressfractures, then they got yelled at that they did not tell something earlier.

Reputatie
    Celine is doing fine. She has school exams now and decided to focus on them this year. She will try for worlds.

sport legend
    Reputatie
    Thanks TessaW for updates.
    Here is somethign about Masela: http://www.intlgymnast.com/index.php...ews&Itemid=166

Reputatie
    Wyomi Masela changed clubs after Nationals. She is now training in Amsterdam at the same club as Noël van Klaveren. Noël did nog have a very good national. She fell 3 times from UB, 2 from BB. FX and VT were good in the AA. Then in EF's, she fell on her DTY, leaving the title for Wyomi. Noël was very tired after euro''s and her high school final exams. She also had a little knee injury. She did not want to peak for nationals, but will for the qualifying meets for worlds.

Noëls teammate Vera van Pol won surprisingly the AA title. She is 19, always was a big talent (double double as a junior) but bad bars and inconsistent. Since two years she trains in Amsterdam, she had to learn very different techniques and had to overcome lots of fear. She litterely started with handstands and giants again. Now she is steadily getting better, even though the AA total (53 or 54 something) was nog that high for a winner. Hope we see more of her.

Celine van Gerner took silver, after a break after the olympics. In septemer she tore her ankle ligaments, so she was forced to take a break. In december she doubted about retiring, but in february she decided to continue. She is now at 70% of her ability she said. She lost lots of skills, put on weight and lost her conditioning. Now she looks good, but not great yet.

Wyomi took bronze. Noël was fourth.

Julia Bombach impressed me, She is quite tall and always just below the top. She has a really cool and difficult barroutine, but is quite inconsistent. She cried when she fell in EF's. Even though, kudos for her to go on. She had many injuries but seems to love the sport very much. Her teammate Maartje Ruikes did OK-ish.

Chantysha Netteb only competed UB due to the knee injury she sustained at euros. She won the the title, which says something about te weak field, conidering it is Chantysha's worst event.

Lisa Top was absent due to an elbow injury from december. She was finally cleared a couple of weeks ago to start training again.

Sanne Wevers and Lieke Wevers were also injured. Lieke has some kind of a wrist injury.

Melissa Scherpenisse was feeling really dizzy in the morning, so could not compete.

Joy Goedkoop will have another injury in august, Yvette Moshage retired.

Daphne Slingerland (97) was thrilled with her bronze on beam. She started top gymnastics quite late (12 years old) and she needs to make up lots of ground. Slowly she is getting better.

Annabelle Schmidt returned to competition after 2 years absence due to 2 surgery's on her torn achilles tendon. Kudos to her for not giving up!

Reputatie
    Some about the juniors:

Eythora Thorsdottir (98) won the AA, ofcourse. She is quite ahead of the field, and a beauty to watch. Sadly she is quite inconsistent,but she improved on UB a lot.
    2nd was Dana de Groot (98 I think, or 99). She is from Flik Flak club, Vera van Pols former club. Her best event is floor. A very elegant gymnast. Reminds me a bit of Dorina Bogzogo. Lovely to watch on floor. Beam is OK (nice lines), bars is bad. Somehow gymnasts from Flik Flak all have quite bad bars.
    3rd was Mara Titarsolej (99). A great little gymnast from De Hazenkamp club (former club of Fieke Willems, and now Maartje Ruikes and Julia Bombach). Hazenkamp has new coaches since a couple of years (after Boris Orlov and Esther Heijnen left after quite a scandal of mental abuse). Slowly they are getting back at the national top. Mara is a joy to watch.

These 3 our the EYOF team, probably the most elegant team we had in years. Definately worth a watch!

Other juniors are not quite there yet. Jin Yi Hoekstra (98) and Helene Houbraken (99) look promising though, but they just need more time.

Reputatie
    Thanks for the updates Tessa

Reputatie
    Wow, thanks for the updates, Tessa.

I am so sad seeing that there are so many injuries with the Netherlands girls. I really enjoy Noel and it's sad to hear she has a knee ijury and her DTY is not that consistent. It was a wonderful vault at Euros and I was hoping for a World final for her.

And I am also sad to hear about Celine van Gerner. I liked her a lot in 2010, in Rotterdam and I was hoping she would be even better every time. Perhaps from now on.

Reputatie
    Noël will be fine. She did not want to peak at nationals. Her DTY in the AA was beautiful. in EF she was just a tiny bit short. Her knee is OK now, it is not something bad. More like growing pains. She is growing quite a bit (only in hight so far). And she was verrrrry nervous for nationals. Remember she was a gymnast that had never even won a medal at nationals, other than here bronze when she was 10. Suddenly all eyes were on her. She put so much pressure on herself, even though she was not fully prepared due to her knee, and her school exams. I think many of the mistakes she made were because of this.

Her coaches are taking it easy with her, are just careful. She is training an Amanar though and an upgraded second vault. We will see if they will be ready for worlds, but I don't think so. Her long term goal is Rio, so they are not gonna hurry her.

Celine will be fine too. She really made a conscious choice to continue now (as opposed to 'just going on after the olympics because gymnastics is what I do'). She said that afer a short break she was immediately back in the gym. The bad injury was actually a blessiing in disguise, because she was forced to take a real break and she had te time to coop with her fysical and emotional exhaustion after the olympics. She said if she did not take that break, she probably would have been burnt out in one or 2 years.

In february, when she returned to the gym, she really made a choice for gymnnastics. Yes, she was not 100% at nationals, but it was only her first competition. She will be fine in the future. She has become a mature young woman, who really knows what she wants.

Same as with Wyomi BTW. She also made a choice for gymnastics. It took her almost a year, but the trainingstage in Canada convinced her that she wanted to commit for another olympic cycle. She also was not in perfect shape yet, but she showed already new upgrades, like a DLO on floor and from bars.

Reputatie
    Quote Originally Posted by TessaW View Post
    Noël will be fine. She did not want to peak at nationals. Her DTY in the AA was beautiful. in EF she was just a tiny bit short. Her knee is OK now, it is not something bad. More like growing pains. She is growing quite a bit (only in hight so far). And she was verrrrry nervous for nationals. Remember she was a gymnast that had never even won a medal at nationals, other than here bronze when she was 10. Suddenly all eyes were on her. She put so much pressure on herself, even though she was not fully prepared due to her knee, and her school exams. I think many of the mistakes she made were because of this.

Her coaches are taking it easy with her, are just careful. She is training an Amanar though and an upgraded second vault. We will see if they will be ready for worlds, but I don't think so. Her long term goal is Rio, so they are not gonna hurry her.

Celine will be fine too. She really made a conscious choice to continue now (as opposed to 'just going on after the olympics because gymnastics is what I do'). She said that afer a short break she was immediately back in the gym. The bad injury was actually a blessiing in disguise, because she was forced to take a real break and she had te time to coop with her fysical and emotional exhaustion after the olympics. She said if she did not take that break, she probably would have been burnt out in one or 2 years.

In february, when she returned to the gym, she really made a choice for gymnnastics. Yes, she was not 100% at nationals, but it was only her first competition. She will be fine in the future. She has become a mature young woman, who really knows what she wants.

Same as with Wyomi BTW. She also made a choice for gymnastics. It took her almost a year, but the trainingstage in Canada convinced her that she wanted to commit for another olympic cycle. She also was not in perfect shape yet, but she showed already new upgrades, like a DLO on floor and from bars.

Looking forward to new updates!